We had a fabulous start to this term’s art sessions at the allotment! We used elderberries as the basis for watercolour paint, which was pretty messy and great fun.
After extracting the juice by cooking the berries, everyone created their own paint recipes, modifying small amounts of juice with an acid (white wine vinegar), or an alkali (bicarbonate of soda).
We made colour swatches to see how big a range of colours we could create, and then tried actually painting with our colour palette.
The plan had been to go on to make tempera, but we ran out of time- so that will have to wait for another time!